Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Arrive Li Jiang

    April 2, 2006 in China

    This morning we caught a domestic flight from Kunming to Li Jiang. We were transported to our lovely traditional Chinese hotel. After lunch walked to the old part of the town to explore the labyrinth of tiny streets and canals.

    The UNESCO World Cultural Heritage town of Lijiang is situated at 2,440m above sea level. The old town of Lijiang is home to the fascinating Naxi people, descendants from Tibetan nomads. Women in the Naxi community play a strong role in the family and in business. The traditional blue clothes of the Naxi are still worn by many today.

    This was an enchanting place to explore the narrow cobbled streets, ancient bridges and marvel at the traditional curved roofs of the wooden houses. The afternoon was spent on a walking tour through some of the old neighbourhoods visiting the Museum of Naxi culture, and the Black Dragon Pool with stunning views of the jagged snow capped Jade Dragon Snow Mountains (5596m high at the southern edge of the Tibetan Plateau).

    In the evening we walked back to the nearby old city where we had dinner, then engaged with the locals in a series of singing challenges. We didn't really understand what was going on, but it certainly was a lot of fun.
    Read more