Satellite
Show on map
  • The Final Countdown

    August 11, 2023 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 15 °C

    There is something really significant about reaching the point when your departure is less than a week away. This is especially true when the trip has been five years in the making.

    According to the calendar, by this time next week, we will an hour into our flight and we will be somewhere over NSW. Hopefully all our luggage will also be on the plane with us.

    By this stage everyone should be in the very final stages of their packing and preparation. So where do I stand in this regard ?
    Final packing - almost done
    All accommodation bookings made - I hope so
    Transfers and train tickets done - that was David's job
    Passport ready ? - yes
    Other documents sorted and packed - mostly
    Financial matters under control - you have to be kidding
    Cycling training completed - in a fashion
    All notes and documents carefully studied - there are not enough hours in the day
    Electrical devices, cables, chargers, adapters, etc - checked and ready

    At this stage of proceedings it is normal to feel a mixture of excitement and panic. Excitement that our long awaited adventure is finally about to start, and panic because there is always that nagging feeling at the back of your mind that some important item has been overlooked.

    You would think that, after doing so many previous cycling trips, that I would have everything down to a smooth routine. You might think that, but you could also be mistaken. Sometimes I feel like that proverbial duck, calmy floating on the lake. On the surface all looks peaceful and serene, but under the water the little webbed feet are paddling like crazy.

    Actually I am looking forward to finally being able to settle my ample backside into the designated plane seat, and waiting for take off. By that stage anything that was forgotten or undone, will remain undone.

    If there is one thing I have learnt from all my previous trips, it is that, no matter what happens, everything will work out in the end. On such a complex and lengthy trip, it is almost certain that not everything will go exactly according to plan. At such times you can either panic, or examine the situation and work out the best solution. Although we don't want such situations to arise, sometimes they are the times that participants look back on in years ahead with the most affection.

    Travel is meant to be an adventure, and we always need to leave room for the true magic to take place.

    The next time most of our team will be together will be when we meet together at the Hotel Wiechmann in Amsterdam. I hope that those who are reading this account back in Australia will be sharing the journey with us.
    Read more