Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Riding the Wagirra

    April 19 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 10 °C

    Today was Day 2 of our Central Victoria Cycling Adventure. With three more riders joining us this morning, we now have 18 in the peloton. We awoke to a perfect morning, with blue skies visible in every direction.
    The purpose of today's ride was an easy 45 km ride along some of the best bike paths on both sides of the Murray. It was an absolutely delightful start to our week of riding.

    We met at the Brekky Box cafe, just opposite our motel, in time for a start at 10 am. The first stop along the way was at the nearby park for the obligatory group photo shot. Then we continued along the bike path across the river and into NSW.

    The scenery along the way was magical, and the path was smooth and fun. Water was around us on all sides, and we even saw a car up in a tree. This is not something you often see in Melbourne, but we assumed it had been deposited there by a past flood, and that it had been too hard to remove. So that is where it stayed.

    We even stopped to watch a couple of turtles enjoying the sunshine. The highlight was exploring the beautiful Wagirra Trail. This was an extension to the rides we had done in this area before, and we all loved it.

    After ring the Wagirra Loop we retraced our route back to Wodonga, where we stopped for lunch at Gumtree Pies. At that point some chose to finish the ride at that point, while the rest continued to complete another 12 km in the Wodonga region. We somehow managed to accidentally enter ourselves in a primary school cross country run, where I think that Allan and I managed to secure first and second places.

    Tomorrow, we progress to a longer ride when we ride to the Old Tallangatta Lookout and back.
    Read more