Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 77

    Jekyll, GA to Fernandina, FL

    November 5, 2023 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 72 °F

    WE ARE IN FLORIDA!!!!!!!! That is so important. We are one jump away from the Bahamas! Amazing to both of us that we have made it this far. We asked each other today, "If we were done here, what would we do with the boat?" Interestingly, I said, "I would keep it." I meant it too. I have dreams of tropical beaches and shores and it has to be done!

    We are seeing so much wildlife in the ocean. We have been traveling on the outside mostly and we see so many dolphins, jumping fish, we think we saw a manatee and we definitely saw a huge sea turtle. We haven't seen whales yet, but we know they are coming. Unfortunately, we have also seen some very heavy shoaling. This is sand shifting under the water. Today we almost crashed twice in 30 miles because of this! Thanks to Dave's quick driving and my keen eyes, we avoided disaster. But the ocean, folks, needs to be respected. All the electronics in the world are not keeping us 100% safe. We have to use our eyes and senses always.

    Other than our near beaching's and sea life sightings, the journey today was quick. We are wondering how exactly to tackle Florida while we prepare to jump over to the Bahamas and today we decided a quick trip was the key. We are also getting to meet Marissa's parents (Marissa is Tyler's girlfriend) and that was worth a stop.

    What Could Go Right? We got a nice early morning walk in on Jekyll Island and it was so tropically beautiful. If anyone is looking for a fun getaway, I would highly recommend Jekyll. It seems to be a secret, so shush! We also had a nice night on the hook with no problems and it was free! Then Dave was able to look at the fuel and black water issues and adjust them to working. So, yay, for a productive stop.

    What Could Go Wrong? The exciting travel adventures were enough "go wrong" for the day, to be honest. There is something so humbling about being out there in the middle of the Atlantic facing a debacle. Of course, when we were debriefing later, after the shaking stopped for both of us, mind you, it occurred to us that if anything happened, all we would have had to do was get out of the boat and stand up. :) Anyway, that was enough, go wrong for the day.
    Read more