Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    PUERTO VALLARTA

    January 10, 2019 in Mexico ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    Our first port....been there, done that x 6. We didn’t feel any need to explore the city, particularly because the downtown area was a bus or taxi ride from the marina. It was 28 and sunny so we opted to walk a couple of blocks to the Galleria Mall, spending time at the food court to take advantage of the free internet. Walmart and Sam’s Club were next door so we picked up some Coke and Mexican nuts. Puerto hasn’t changed much...busy with people and traffic, dirty and dusty, and hot. There was a magnificent yacht moored near our ship with it’s own helicopter that another cruiser estimated the value at $6 million for the helicopter alone! Research tells me that the yacht is owned by a self-made Montana industrialist billionaire and is one of the largest yachts in the world.

    We departed Puerto an hour late due to a medical emergency on board. I saw an alert, elderly man being stretchered down the gangplank. It’s not surprising as I think the average age of our fellow travellers is around 75+. There are lots of wheelchairs, walkers and canes and then there are many who are walking laps around the ship daily. We don’t have a set time for dinner as we opted for the freestyle dining, which hasn’t been a problem because the majority of the old timers like to eat at 5 or 6. We normally eat late but the dining room closes at 9 pm so we have had to be mindful of that.

    Missing in action....one pair of retro prescription sunglasses! Maybe at home, Walmart, Costco, one of our hotels. I’m not only clumsy but forgetful in my old age. Feeling sad as I sure could use them on this trip.
    Read more