Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Banff II

    July 24, 2022 in Canada ⋅ ☁️ 20 °C

    We had a full day of exploration in the Banff area. We started our day with a 2 km hike at Lake Minnewanka as it has always been a favourite spot. We saw big horned sheep on the roadside but were unable to stop for photos. Traffic was insane. Trying to find a spot for our picnic lunch proved to be quite a challenge. We tried to get a parking spot at Johnson Lake and that was futile as the lot was full and there was about a km of cars parked along the roadside. It was a sunny Sunday afternoon and it seemed all of Calgary was at the lake. Our next attempt was at Cascade Pond and we were lucky that someone had just pulled out of their spot. It was also a very busy family location. We are learning that Banff is crazy busy this summer.

    Our next attempt was to visit Lake Louise and Lake Moraine. Impossible!! After a 58 km drive we were unsuccessful in getting into either area. We drove back to Lake Louise Village and were advised by a tourism person to wait an hour or two and try again. On our second attempt we were able to get a $12.25 parking spot at Lake Louise. The people at the lakefront were shoulder-to-shoulder as bus loads of tourists were being dropped off. It was so disappointing. Parks Canada has started a shuttle service to ease the crowd issue but there were over 100 people lined up waiting for the return bus to the Village. We were turned away from Lake Moraine again and decided to give up returning to Banff hugely frustrated.

    Our second oTENTik experience was at Tunnel Mountain located right in Banff. We really enjoyed our stay here as it was very clean and the facilities were great. They even had an electrical outlet attached to the picnic table so that we could have our tea and toast for breakfast! Once again we were surrounded by large Japanese family groups but the facilities were much improved so it wasn’t a concern.

    In the evening we drove to downtown Banff for ice cream at the famous Cows shop but it was closed. It seems all of the Banff businesses are unable to find adequate staff to maintain their regular business hours.
    Read more