Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 29–30

    Overnight bus - Adios Mexico

    January 29 in Mexico ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    So after our culinary and diving adventures yesterday we drove to Cancun to return the car and then waited til midnight to get the overnight bus to Chetumal near Belize. This morning we got an Uber out to a quiet part of town where we hope to meet our shuttle to Belize city. Everything is quiet and not come alive yet at 6.30am. This is the unglamorous part of travelling, sitting on buses and waiting around, a lot.

    We found a quiet play park and listened to the birds most familiar Great Tailed Grackle, Brown Jay, White-Winged Dove but a new one Baltimore Oriole! Nice final bird for Mexico.

    A short video is attached only 40 seconds summarising our month in Mexico. Enjoy that.

    My highlights (Michael) were Hot-air Balloon over pyramids, Bull shark diving yesterday and the Rio Lagartos Boat trip and bird watching. I am most impressed by roadworks, thy always have 50 people working hard and they can resurface a road overnight. Least impressed by young street kids (as young as 2) out selling things in restaurant.

    Helen’s top three also includes the hot-air balloon over the pyramids. Also diving, but the reef dives in Isla Mujeres where we had great views of a turtle. Her favourite place was Bacalar - the lagoon was beautiful with its varied colours and the town was really chilled.
    Read more