Satellite
Show on map
  • The end doesn't mean it's over

    November 27, 2014 in Argentina ⋅ ⛅ 50 °F

    At breakfast we got to meet Joanne, who is climbing Kilimanjaro in February. Kim and I delighted in reliving that adventure for her. It was our pleasure to answer questions about the climb and safari. She was a bit surprised when we told her that we still keep in contact and vacation with our fellow climbers; we were strangers at the start of the climb but descended as friends. I regretted that we hadn't met her sooner on the voyage. We wished her the best of luck and a very safe climb.

    We got into port after breakfast this morning. The disembarkation process was painless, following our heartfelt goodbyes with our new friends. We killed a couple of hours at the penitentiary museum in Ushuaia. The prison was the last destination for some of the worst felons, imported to the area in the late 1800's and early 1900's. They literally built the town, some while wearing shackles. The location was perfect because there was no escaping a place that is encircled with frozen mountains and the icy sea. Poor devils didn't enjoy much of a life, which, of course, was the point.

    Although our flight was an hour late, we made it safely to Buenos Aires for the next chapter of our holiday.
    Read more