衛星
マップで表示する
  • 日7

    Magical

    2015年10月16日, ペルー ⋅ ⛅ 54 °F

    We were picked up from our hotel at 5am and transported to Ollantaytambo, where we caught the train toward Machu Picchu. At kilometer 104, the train stopped, and we were dumped onto the side of the tracks with about 30 other people, from other tour companies. This is the trailhead for the one day hike into Machu Picchu. We got on the trail at about 9:30 am, with a destination of Machu Picchu, 10 kilometers away. Although the area is a little over 7,000 feet in elevation, it is a warm rainforest. Luckily, the weather was mild, and we had cloud cover.

    Within the first five minutes we came to some Incan ruins, where we stopped. Julian, our guide, gave us a summary of the trail ahead, as well a short history of this area, which was called Chachabamba. From here, the trail ascended for a few hours. It was not a steep incline, but it was a steady ascent. Before we reached Winay Wayna, it began to rain lightly. It was actually fortunate, because it kept the temperature down and kept the bugs at bay.

    As we approached Winay Wayna, we crossed a wooden bridge over a towering, thin waterfall, seemingly coming from sky. In short time we were in the lower corner of the Inca ruin, Winay Wayna. It has multiple terraces, where the Incas experimented with crops, perfecting their agricultural acumen. There were only a couple of other people on the ruins, at the time, and we felt as though we had the place to ourselves; except for the llama, wondering the steppes below the residential area. As we climbed the stairs, up the terraces, the irrigation water was still running through the aqueducts. The remains of the buildings look as if they were built much more recently than 500 years ago. They stand straight, with little hint of deterioration. As we headed out of the ruins, a bank of fog rolled up the ruins, completely engulfing them. We mentioned how grateful we were to see them, when the fog began to dissipate. The view was mesmerizing, so we lingered there longer than we had planned, taking in the majesty of the site.

    From Winay Wayna, the trail is more forgiving, with some level areas and a loss in elevation. It is the high point on the trial, at about 8,900 feet. It was another two hours before we approached the Sun Gate. There is a steep set of stairs as you approach the final stretch, where you have to use your hands to monkey-climb to the top. Once there, you are nearing the first gate into Machu Picchu, and your first look at it. The Sun Gate was true to its name. By now, the rain had stopped and through the heavy canopy of the jungle, the rays of the sun shone through the gate, as if it were glowing. I turned into the gate, searching for Machu Picchu, but it was not immediately visible. I stepped around a couple of stone walls, and the view opened. Machu Picchu was hazy but visible. It was surreal, and I could not believe I was staring down on this iconic scene. I snapped a bazillion photos before we headed down. With each step, the complex became sharper. The haze subsided by the time we got to the third and final gate. And then, we were there. We were at that very spot where every great picture of Machu Picchu has been taken. The lighting wasn't favorable, but there was a moment when a portion of it was lit in the brilliant sun, and the other part was in the shade. The shadows were evocative, and I can only hope the moment is captured on my memory card.
    もっと詳しく