Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 35

    Dana's Top 10 lessons from down under

    November 29, 2006 in the United States ⋅ ❄️ 19 °F

    WOW! Through magic of modern time travel, I left Auckland at 7:30p on 11/27, and I arrived in Denver at 5:00p on the same day. Whoa. Time travel really takes it out of you. Maybe that's were jet lag comes from!

    Dana's Top 10 lessons from down under

    I learned a lot while I was in the southern hemisphere, but here are the most profound awarenesses I experienced:

    10. New Zealand has no wildlife. Only two mammals are native to the country, and they're both bats.
    9. Worms are cuter than maggots.
    8. Rugby is not a sport, it's a way of life.
    7. I knew water swirled in the direction opposite of that in the northern hemisphere, but I learned the line at the McDonald's drive-in goes the opposite way too.
    6. No matter how beautiful the ocean and sea life, there is no reason to ever scuba dive in cold water.
    5. Just because someone speaks the English language doesn't mean you will understand more than one-half of what they say.
    4. It's just best to say you're Canadian.
    3. There are eight people of color in Australia.
    2. Australia has more roadkill than a West Texas cafe.
    1. The world would be a much better place if we all adopted the attitude of the Aussies and Kiwis, which is summed up in their two favorite phrases: "No worries" and "Cheers"! (By the way, to say it properly, it's "Cheez!")
    Read more