Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    It's a wrap

    November 30, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 36 °F

    We wrapped up our last few hours in Iceland with a stop at the flea market downtown. Deb and Kim made a couple of purchases, and I grabbed an Icelandic novel for the plane (and Linda Robinson). We decided to grab fish and chips on our way to the airport, and we scored big with the google. Searching for the best fish and chips in Keflavik, we discovered Issi, which happened to be located right next to a gas station and on the way to the airport. It sounded like the perfect stop. As we pulled up, we noticed it wasn’t actually a restaurant, but a small “box” at the end of a parking lot. There was one table, which was already occupied, so we ordered and stood at the tiny counter. The place is all windows but not a single chair is apparently allowed to occupy space. The fish batter was as light and airy as the shop. Here, too, the fish was locally sourced and delicious. We also learned that Issi’s grandfather actually owned the first fish and chips joint in Iceland; however, he went on a bender and accidentally burned the place down in 1942.

    After eating, we topped off the gas tank for another $70 and returned the car at the airport. Because it was still light out, we got to see our surroundings, which we missed in the dark, when we arrived. The drive to the airport is a trip through a lava field; however, the airport, itself, is punctuated with lots of public art. It was fun to spend some time looking at the sculptures, paintings, etc. throughout the facility. It made our departure much more interesting.

    With the close of another trip, I think of the time spent in Iceland and reflect on my top ten list:

    10. Watching the Harpa Concert Hall turn colors, over, and over, and over, and over...
    9. Bean bag mattresses and big screens.
    8. Whooping Kim and Deb in Canasta.
    7. Seeing amazing waterfalls and walking behind the crashing water of one.
    6. Eating more fish and chips in a week than I have in the last year.
    5. Hiking onto a glacier, after passing on the last opportunity that I had.
    4. Walking in and around glacier remnants on Diamond Beach.
    3. Going into the fissure that separates the North American and Eurasian plates.
    2. Watching the Northern lights dance across the sky.
    1. Stepping foot in my 50th country.
    Read more