Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Jasper... Queenstown on steroids

    May 5, 2018 in Canada ⋅ ☀️ 10 °C

    With a name like Jasper, you'd expect something special for this town. It didn't disappoint! We arrived in the town after travelling along the Icefield Parkway, a 230km trek from Lake Louise.

    Whistlers Campground was our resting spot. This park, 5 mins out of Jasper, is run by National Parks and set amongst tall fir trees next to Whistlers Peak. It is huge taking 10 mins thru to our spot. You park next to your picnic table, hook up electricity and toilets are walking distance.

    Overnight temps were bearable. I rose early, before 6 am, and went for my 5k walk, saw my first elk. We went up Whistlers Peak on the Air Tram, from 1200m to 2200m, with clouds scudding past, briefly interrupting our views. Vistas of Jasper, Pyramid Peak and many other mountains.

    I decided to do the 45-min. trek to the top of the mountain, still peppered with snow and ice, but with enough rocks and dry path to make walking possible. Discovered another red chair.

    Next we visited Maligne Canyon, only metres wide but carved by water over the years. We went past an empty Medicine Lake finally found frozen Maligne Lake. Our day was complete after discovering two red chairs... we just sat and enjoyed the serenity!
    Read more