Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19

    Waterton weaves its wonders

    May 12, 2018 in Canada ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    As the sun began to caress the edges of a perfect day and design a delectable sunset I soak up the ambience of Waterton NP. Set in the very SW corner of Alberta, next to Montana, USA, this gem of a lake is surrounded by snow-topped Rocky Mountains. They are different to the Jasper-Banff version, it’s drier here, but no less powerful and picturesque.

    The drive into Waterton from Highway 2 is just wonderful, with the rolling green prairies suddenly overtaken by the upright mountains. On one side the mountains are lacking fir trees from the devastating fires, exposing the rocks and snow. The lake sets a glorious foundation and visual feast for this setting, the quietness filling your soul with peace.

    We’ve entered the National Park, but unlike Australian equivalents, a small village for visitors. I’ve heard the languages of Thai, Spanish, British, French... and of course a multitude of Aussies calling Canada their second home.

    Sheree and I walked along the lake’s edge, enjoyed the Cameron waterfall, wandered through the village, had dinner and finaly a delightful & peaceful sunset. We have less than seven days to enjoy this heaven, so we absorb every moment.

    It’s good to be in the mountains on such a delightful day... feeling blessed!
    Read more