Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 21

    Spring has sprung

    May 14, 2018 in Canada ⋅ ☀️ 11 °C

    Daffodils, tulips, azaleas, crocus, iris, snowdrops… the list is long! All great blooms. But our main reason for going to a Northern Hemisphere spring was the cherry blossoms festival. Vancouver has the biggest festival outside Japan.

    This city presented us with four days of sunshine and gorgious temps, with ample opportunity to walk the streets, soaking up the seasonal ambiance of Canada's third largest metropolis.

    Heading away from the coast and rising in elevation the season quickly reversed. At 2000m spring was only just beginning. The tulips were just pushing through; the leaves hadn’t started unfolding; the flowers buds weren’t even open!

    Many locals throughout our trip repeated the same phrase, “This has been the heaviest snowfall on record.” Therefore spring was a tsunami, bursting forth with clarity, energy, and delight.

    As we left the Rockies spring returned with increasing boldness. The trees were covered in thick brilliant greens; the gardens overflowed with a rainbow of colours; the bees, the birds, and the gardeners were all busy.

    The finale of our five-week Springfest was Butchart Gardens on Vancouver Island. Someone had pressed the ‘summer' button and the gardens were being sown with another brilliant display.
    Read more