Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Santorini

    June 8, 2023 in Greece ⋅ ☀️ 72 °F

    From Crete, we set sail while relaxing aboard the Celestyal Olympia, our next destination being the iconic island of Santorini. As we approached, I couldn't help but be captivated by the extraordinary beauty of the island, possibly one of the most stunning places I've ever visited.

    Our voyage took us past the caldera of an active volcano that last erupted over 3,600 years ago in 1620 BC, dramatically reshaping the island and creating the stunning, sheer cliffs we see today. Despite a series of volcanic earthquakes in 1950, the island remains a remarkable testament to nature's power and resilience.

    As we sailed in, the sight of whitewashed houses perched precariously on the cliff tops against the blue Aegean was breathtaking, their pristine whiteness contrasting starkly against the deep blue sea, giving an illusion of snow-capped mountains.

    Santorini is famed for its unique black sand beaches, a result of its volcanic history. While we didn't visit any of these beaches, we could see them from afar, a stark contrast to the brilliant white of the cliff-side buildings.

    From the port, we journeyed by tour bus to the town of Oia, situated on the island's northern tip. Known for its charming shops, exquisite restaurants, and spectacular views of cliff houses and blue-domed buildings. It was an experience we will never forget!

    Note: FindPenguins limits a post to 20 pictures and one video. Our FB group has more. 🙂
    Read more