Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Crete and King Minos

    June 8, 2023 in Greece ⋅ ☀️ 86 °F

    As we sailed off to dreamland still thinking about karaoke and our fun night if free time, the Celestyal Olympia whisked us away on a moonlit journey across the Aegean Sea to our next destination – Crete, the largest island in Greece, steeped in myth and history.

    Upon waking, we found ourselves in the realm of the fabled labyrinth and its infamous Minotaur. The Minoan Palace, once the majestic seat of King Minos, was our first stop. As we wandered through the ancient ruins, we could almost hear echoes of the past.

    Our guide, shared intriguing details about the island's history. We learned that although there was an actual King Minos, 'Minos' eventually became a title used by all rulers of Crete - an interesting nugget of historical trivia.

    As the morning gave way to afternoon, we ventured from the ancient Minoan Palace into the heart of modern Crete. We had free time to have local snacks and explore shops filled with crafts and souvenirs.

    Back on the Celestyal Olympia, we had a few hours to have lunch, have fun on the ship, or, as I did, nap in a deck chair watching the waves roll by on our way to our next destination!
    Read more