Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Day 4 - Kavanagh's Hilltop Bar

    August 19, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    I realized I didn’t really take any photos today. That’s okay as it wasn’t super eventful. We slept until checkout and then went to a place that serves pancakes only to find out they had a huge wait. Panera it is.

    After we drove a few hours and stopped at a gas station where one of the workers asked if we had seen the new “QT” movie. We had no idea what he was talking about until he told us it meant Quentin Tarrantino. He also did some impersonations of the dudes from Full Metal Jacket.

    The gig was in kind of a dive bar hosted by the Mississippi Valley Blues society. The people were super receptive which made it way more fun. There was a dude there filming us that looked a lot like Peter Criss.

    I noticed small improvements in certain aspects of my playing tonight but found a few things I need to improve. Fast floater shuffles, snare height, and thrown height. It always feels a little off and at this point in the game I just want it to feel effortless.

    Before the gig it was decided we’d drive a few hours so the next day we could get to Detroit easier. Well, some group of people wouldn’t let us leave for an hour as they needed to tell us about their Jimmy Buffett concerts. We finally left, listened to a pretty bad CD, and got some snacks at a 24-hour HyVee grocery store. Doug got a calzone and the lady went upstairs to the break room just to heat it up for him.

    We’re now in Joliet and will be heading to Detroit in the morning. We will be staying there for 3 days so no travel for awhile.
    Read more