Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Horses for courses

    August 24, 2018 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    We waved goodbye to our camp neighbours from Melbourne and made our way to the 55ha Larne Horse Stud on the other side of town to watch farmer Steve put his big Clydesdale horses through their paces. Steve and his wife Jan breed the gentle giants as well as use them for all their farm work. They currently have 15 horses that they work in teams.

    These days they also attend festivals and show tour groups farm skills from yesteryear. We watched as one of the horses operated a machine to cut wheat, oats and barley into fine grain. We also watched how they use the horses to do the heavy lifting of the grain bags to toss them onto the wagons.

    We spent over three hours wandering around the farm, with Cadbury on a lead alongside us. The farm is situated right on the edge of Lake Cargellico, with their cute double story, half brick half wood, house taking advantage of the lakeside location. Together with the rest of the tour group we enjoyed morning tea and exploring old sheds filled with historical equipment including a number of wagons and sulkies.

    Back to our little campsite around the other side of the lake and we spent the afternoon relaxing, doing a bit of shopping and I made homemade pizzas for dinner on the Weber, enjoying making the dough as I sat outside in the dappled sunlight enjoying the wind still water view.

    Another quiet night in our little home on wheels. I could get used to this!

    3 fun facts from today:

    1. Clydesdales are just one breed of Draught horse originating in Scotland and became known as the breed that built Australia

    2. My pizza dough is made from 2 ingredients only - Greek yoghurt and self raising flour

    3. Pizza + Weber = YUM!
    Read more