Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    When it rains during drought

    August 25, 2018 in Australia ⋅ 🌧 12 °C

    A few nights ago Cadbury decided at around 6am that he wanted to sleep on the bed...under the doona as he does at home. I didn’t mind, he’s nice and warm to cuddle up to. Then the other night it was 3am. I grumbled a bit but helped him up. Last night it was 12.30am! I wasn’t going to let him and got up to put his blankie over him, when he took a little run up and jumped up himself, looking at me through lowered eyes and fluttering eyelids so that I couldn’t resist. We cuddled up for the rest of the night.

    In the morning I opened my eyes expecting some cloud cover as BOM was suggesting storms and rainfall today. However, the sky was the same unwavering blue with the lake reflecting the sky like a mirror in the morning stillness - same as yesterday.

    Today we left our lovely lakeside paradise to inch our way north. In any case, we had run out of water and our toilet needed emptying (aah the realities of life on the road!)

    I prepped a chicken soup in the thermal cooker (so it could continue cooking all day) and by the time we’d chatted to our new camping neighbours (a young couple and their dog from Geelong in a van) and completed the morning’s chores it was late morning before we headed north out of town.

    The first half of the trip was uneventful, except for the darkening sky. We stopped for lunch and a break in a rest stop and then continued our journey, listening to Aussie rock classic tunes as the Zo-Mobil whizzed up the Kidman Highway. Neither of us had ever seen so many hundreds of dead kangaroos on the road. Not on any other trip. Suddenly the storm hit with big fat raindrops smacking the front windscreen. I got nervous driving as the sky darkened and we started seeing mobs of wild goats and kangaroos hanging around the road’s edge. I drove slower and we both kept our eyes peeled out for the Roos, which are known to stand stock still and then jump right in front of your car.

    Finally we made it to Cobar at around 4pm and decided to stay at the free camp by the RSL in town as the gravel car park was a better option than a muddy rain-soaked paddock a few kilometers away.

    We pulled in and parked in a row with the other caravans. We enjoyed delicious chicken soup (who was smart enough to get this happening this morning?) and some pasta before settling in with the radio and some reading for the evening.

    Best thing about today: having dinner hot and ready when we arrived

    Worst thing about today: driving in the rain as it got darker and watching out for kangaroos

    Things that are a work in progress: getting Cadbury to stay in his own bed for most of the night...however to be fair, he does sleep with us at home!
    Read more