Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 35

    Around Julia Creek

    September 23, 2018 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 31 °C

    First thing today we headed to the Visitor Centre as they have amazing displays of the history of the area as well as being able to watch the feeding of the tiny nocturnal marsupial (it kind of looks like a mouse) called a dunnart.

    While watching the feeding, we had to readjust our eyesight to the dark and then we could see the unique floor in the visitor area which uses the latest digital technology to screen moving creatures, such as dunnarts, tiny gidgee bugs and snakes. Cadbury seemed to be fixated on watching the movement on the floor - we already know he loves watching screens of any kind!

    After we watched the cute little dunnart running around his pen, hiding in tunnels and running around on his wheel like a mouse we went to see some of the displays and videos that were housed in old railway workers huts (each one thankfully air-conditioned). We learnt about the history of the area - the main message seemed to be about letting visitors know that Burke and Wills did not travel through nor did they survey Julia Creek or the surrounding McKinley Shire.

    Next we paid a quick visit to the free camp set on a small creek and drove back through town to see the Duncan McIntyre Museum, again giving us more of an insight into life at Julia Creek in the olden days.

    A quick shop (very important to purchase some ice cream) and we went back to the caravan to relax in the air conditioned comfort of our little home on wheels.

    Mid afternoon Gadi went for a swim and then we both enjoyed a second night soaking in the hot tub and gazing at the twinkly stars above. Found that bringing a bone gave Cadbury something to do and he didn’t cry.

    Soooo hard to get out of the lovely warm water!
    Read more