Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 56

    Kuranda, Markets & Birds

    October 14, 2018 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    We had a lovely day today exploring Kuranda, the original market and the food market. We were surprised that it wasn’t busier, as we remember being here a few years ago and not being able to find a parking spot. Together with my boy, I went to visit Bird World, a fantastic free flight aviary where you are inside with the birds. We bought a seed and corn mix to hand feed the birds and we were bombarded from the minute we entered.

    We had many of the large macaws, alexandrine parrots and many other parrots land on our arms and heads almost immediately. We enjoyed their cheekiness, as they ate from our open hands and even tried to eat straight out of the paper bags.

    We made our way slowly through the aviary, enjoying watching the different coloured birds, but of course given we’ve had rainbow lorikeets for many years, they were our favourite!

    We walked through the market, enjoying the colorful little booths and laid back, hippy vibe. We ate the best felafel at an Israeli stand, and although he had run out of fresh pita, he made us felafel salad cups in lettuce leaves. It was absolutely delicious dressed with fresh herbs and a tahini dressing.

    Next we checked out Barron Falls - not a lot of water at this time of year and found another viewpoint over the mountains, with Cairns far in the distance. Here we had a lot of fun taking photos of each other doing yoga poses with the serenity of the stunning view in the background, even my mum had a go. And then Gadi fell backwards in the bushes, and we laughed until we nearly wet our pants!

    We headed back to Cairns to chill out for the evening. I cooked some prawn spring rolls and a deboned peri peri chicken on the Weber with grills veggies, which was delicious paired with our sparkling mango wine we purchased the other day in the Atherton Tablelands.

    G’night from the far north!
    Read more