Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 99

    Coffs Harbour for the Day

    November 26, 2018 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    We took a drive north today to check out Coffs Harbour. First we stopped at the breakwater and river where we are staying to watch the thrashing surf smash against the rocks.

    We drove to Coffs Harbour, stopping at The Big Banana to have a look around. It sure has changed since we brought our kids here at least 10 years ago. Not just a little train journey around the banana plantations and then a banana milkshake or ice cream on the way out, today it is an empire, with a water park, skating rink, laser tag, cafe and tourist shop onsite. We bought frozen chocolate coated bananas and took the obligatory photo in front of the ‘big banana’ - the first big object in Australia!

    After we’d finished our bananas we headed up to a lookout called Bruxner Park Conservation Reserve. The road up was steep and wound through many banana plantations on the hillsides. Why do I always wish I could reach out and pick fruit when we drive past plantations and orchards? At the top there is a forest sky pier cantilevered right over the side of the cliff offering fantastic views over the lovely Coffs coast and surrounding hinterland.

    Next stop was the marina to check out the fishing boats and yachts. We ate a late lunch of delicious fish and chips and then we noticed that Cadbury, our lovely senior spoodle, was limping. We couldn’t find anything stuck in his paw so decided to wait and see how he goes. We headed beck to Nambucca Heads and gave Cadbury an anti-inflammatory tablet and let him rest.

    A little later we drove up to the lookout above our campsite (leaving Cadbury in the car) rugging up in coats to keep out the biting wind. We watched the sunset, not as dramatic as yesterday, but still a gorgeous pink glow spread across the sky.

    Time to head home - neither of us particularly hungry after our late lunch - so I dropped Gadi and Cadbury home and did a quick supermarket shop.

    Good night from Nambucca Heads. Let’s hope a good night’s rest means our baby, Cadbury, is feeling better in the morning xx
    Read more