Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 100

    Beaches, Rocks, a Scary Drive & a Gaol

    November 27, 2018 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    Today is day 100 of our trip! First thing we did was check how Cadbury was feeling after limping yesterday. We were very happy to see that he seemed to have recovered. We packed a picnic lunch and headed south to explore some of the beaches nearby, starting with the pretty Scott’s Head with its pristine stretch of sand and aqua coloured water.

    Then we drove inland to find a picnic ground in the forest. The road was not sealed and was quite bad most of the way, narrow, winding and with large pot holes. Eventually we found the picnic ground but I wasn’t feeling the best after all the bumping around (and it was national park meaning we couldn’t take Cadbury out of the car) so after a short stop we drove a different (and much better) track back to the main highway.

    After this little 4X4 adventure we headed to South West Rocks after stopping to eat our lunch by the banks of the Macleay River at Rainbow Reach, across the river from Jerseyville.

    Next stop: South West Rocks. We drove around checking out the information Centre and the caravan park before parking and walking over the grassy hill to check out the gorgeous view of rust-brown and yellow sandstone rocks with a large expanse of blue ocean swells beyond. On either side of the rocky outcrop were beautiful expanses of white sand beaches, stretching as far as the eye could see.

    Final stop for the day was the nearby Arakoon Conservation Park to check out Trial Bay Gaol and camp ground, and the beautiful lighthouse standing proud on the tip of the peninsula. The harsh, cold stone walls of the gaol sitting high above the rocks below made the visit eerie and dramatic.

    The gaol was built to house prisoners who were brought to the area in 1886 to construct a breakwater (that was never completed) to make Trial Bay a safe harbour halfway between Sydney and Brisbane. During World War 1 the gaol was used as an internment camp for local German residents who were suspected (almost always falsely) to be conspiring with the enemy. Since then it has been left to rot and is now an historic ruin.

    We drove back to Nambucca Heads and enjoyed a bit of late afternoon sunshine outside, giving the Weber its first workout in a while, before heading inside for the night.

    Night night again from the Mid North Coast of NSW xx
    Read more