Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 101

    Extreme Storm, Then Sunshine & Drive

    November 28, 2018 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    The day dawned fine but by mid morning the sky had darkened and the rain began to plop heavily on the metal roof of the caravan. We had no choice other than to stay put and just chill.

    The rain got heavier and we could hear rolling thunder and see lightning continuously flash across the lagoon. And then it began to hail, which I could clearly see falling on to the skylight. It was quite a show...except that I had all our linen and towels outside to dry!

    After an hour of heavy rainfall, soaking wet washing and muddy puddles everywhere, the rain stopped as suddenly as it started. And the sun shone again, the sky returned to blue and the temperature went up to 30 degrees with extreme humidity.

    We decided to go for a drive for the afternoon to Bowraville, a small inland town with lots of historic buildings. We drove through undulating, green hills until we reached town, where we stopped for a coffee and to check out the old buildings. We continued our drive to Ducks Arm to the Pub With No Beer, made famous when Slim Dusty was handed a piece of paper with a poem on it about a Queensland Pub with no beer. Slim reworked the words of the poem, set it to music and the rest is history.

    We drove back to Nambucca Heads in time to enjoy happy hour sitting by the lagoon, enjoying the changing colours of the evening sky. It was hard to tear ourselves away to make some dinner before heading inside. We brought in all our washing (now dry thank goodness) and packed up the awning and outdoor tables and chairs in preparation for moving on tomorrow.

    Night night for the last time from the Mid North Coast xx
    Read more