Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 102

    Driving Through Port Macquarie & Further

    November 29, 2018 in Australia ⋅ 🌧 18 °C

    We headed off around 9.30 this morning, a little worried by weather forecasts of very strong south westerly winds. We had no issues as we headed south on the highway all the way to Port Macquarie. We stopped along the road high above Main Beach to put the kettle on and make a coffee as we watched the surfers below waiting on their boards to catch the next wave.

    After a quick rest we drove around the coastline heading to a nearby lighthouse. The road up to the lighthouse was not meant for towing a caravan. I think a small sign may have said not suitable for large vehicles, but that didn’t stop Gadi! He squeezed in the tight turning circle and luckily was able to park at the end of the circle.

    We checked out the view of the vast expanse of beach and walked out on a viewing platform over huge rocks and nearly got swept away by crazy, strong winds. The view was awesome as the waves crashed against the rocks, sending huge foamy sprays of water high up in the air. Next we walked up to the lighthouse and nearly got blown away as we walked around the perimeter, almost hugging the stone walls of the lighthouse for dear life. I thought I would lose my phone out of my hand and it was unclear if my clothes were being blown up or down.

    We continued to head south from Port Macquarie along the coast through some small towns, stopping to buy lunch from a bakery, hoping to eat outside by a river that seemed much calmer than the beach we’d seen earlier. The wet benches proved a problem so we ate inside the caravan - always convenient to carry your home with you.

    We drove all the way to the little town we are camping in tonight, where there is a free camp along the river with a two minute walk to town. Within five minutes we had our chairs outside by the river and were enjoying happy hour in the last rays of the fleeting sunshine.

    Time to feed Cadbury and think about cooking dinner for us
    Read more