Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    Hoi An Day 2

    January 6 in Vietnam ⋅ ☁️ 26 °C

    Up and out early to grab a Bahn Mi and a coffee before a local bike tour, a small group and for a change I wasn’t the only Aust.

    In total we only did 9 ks on the bike, but covered all the basics. Boat building village.
    Happy Water distillery - I quite like the Mulberry flavoured one. Sleeping mat weaving - no wonder the beds are so hard!!
    Local family for a delicious lunch.
    Family pagoda visit - aha moments about the way they worship and celebrate the ancestors. Discovered more about the paper sacrifices at the market yesterday. They have everything you can think of made from paper including iPhone, iPods, Apple Watch and of course the charger! - the area where they are made is in Hanoi, wish I’d known that.
    Paddle in a bowl boat - after we learnt how they’re made.
    I mastered going backwards.
    Mother of pearl in lay factory-no hard sell AT all.
    A hair raising pedal across a floating bridge, actually the bridge wasn’t as treacherous as the “path” through the reeds on the other side, I have an uncanny ability to see the hole/bump any obstruction actually, and still manage to run in to it.
    I blame yoga!!

    We had a lovely boat ride back, not a sunset cruise like the ones I watched over beers last night, with pretty lights and loud music or karaoke.

    Friendly bunch of people, most well travelled, so we swapped horror stories of adventures and laughed at each other misfortunes. There was 1 young couple from Belgium on their first trip ever and the rest of us all agreed that it’s so easy these days for them.

    Both guides were very good and interesting to talk to. I was always at the back of the pack on purpose, so got to chat with both.

    We left at 8:30 and got back at 3. A great day. What to do now!?, as I sit and watch the night stalls starting to come out and set up for their nights trade.

    Foot rested I set off in search of the tailor that Laurie (cc) had used and have now set in motion a dress, shirt, skirt and a pair of shorts.

    I then got directed to a local restaurant and directed to go back to the shop after dinner and then was brought home. I’m to go back tomorrow about 3. Will rent a bike tomorrow as the cooking school is more than a walk away.

    It’s 10:05
    There’s some karaoke somewhere near by … earplugs going in. Not even white noise is going to drown this out. Might need both!
    Read more