Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Day 5 - Newcastle-under-Lyme

    July 6, 2017 in England ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    A foggy Yorkshire morning greeted us. A low hanging fog, thick as, and worthy of a Python quip. Checked out and on the road around 8am. It seemed much later as our bodies are still getting used to the time difference. Having charged the hire car over night, we started out in EV mode moving silently through the Dales. A beautiful part of the world indeed. Rolling hills, green green grass. Lush pastures. Odd looking sheep and the occasional woolly bull. Stone dividing walls that stretch and criss-cross the countryside for as far as the eye can see. Eyeeeee laddie.

    The plan was to head for Liverpool for some Beetles nostalgia. An attempt was made to play some Beetles tunes via Spotify except for some reason it kept playing only intros or excerpts for some songs which was very annoying. Then the consensus view was stated and Liverpool and all things Beetles were off the agenda. I for one was very disappointed because I think seeing some of the sights and hearing some of the sounds beside the Mercy would have been inspirational. But majority rules. Sucks to be Pauline hey.

    So with Liverpool off-topic the EV juggernaut was steered for Chester. A quaint English city with old city wall remnants, canals, heritage buildings, Tutor and Georgian style architecture. We parked and headed for an independent cafe. While sipping long machiatto, flat while, cappuccino and latte and eating various creations the Chester Town Crier happened by on his way to the square. He was most helpful and instructive. He advised of the next public ceremony at 12pm, in 15 minutes time and a plot was hatched for the event. We assembled at 12 and during the day's readings the Crier asked if any man's wife was guilty of overspending. I raised my hand and said ah sire, mine. With which said wife was ushered forward and placed in the stocks. A right royal ruckus and photo and video session marked the occasion.

    A short exploration of Chester through the magnificent Cathedral and adjoining rooms. The place reeked history and it was easy to imagine the religious forebears traipsing through in years gone by from ceremony to ceremony. Just prior to entering the Cathedral an older gentleman said that I should later walk past the 'Superdrug' store just down the road and view the plaque on the wall outside because it told of a famous person who visited some 200 years earlier. Still not sure why he mentioned this to me. At the time I was taking photographs outside the Cathedral. At first I though he was directing me to some super herbs on offer in the area but then I quickly discounted the idea. So after out religious infusion we passed the building and there on the wall it told of the previous uses of the building and the fact Charles Dickens had performed there in 1867. Rather noteworthy. Next was a walk along the remnants of the old city wall. Great views of the city and the canal used for transporting goods in the industrial era.

    Being so close to Wales various member of the party decided that a brief foray into Wales was in order so we headed for Mold. There was a noticeable change in architecture along the way and all signage was in both English and Welsh. We parked and went for a walk around town. The accent of locals had the familiar lilt and song of Wales. Lunch was Subway. Too convenient. Tesco for some stocking up of supplies and back on the road.

    Next stop Newcastle-under-Lyme. Why? Seemed like a good idea at the time. A university city. Trouble was there were road works on the motorway so instead of 70 MPH is was more like 5 or stand-still at times, so a hour or so journey turned into 2 1/2 hours of stop start.

    But arrive we did. Sleep well tonight we shall - hopefully

    Not a lot of photos today. It is what it is.
    Read more