Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    City palace, Maiden Garden

    October 25, 2019 in India ⋅ ⛅ 29 °C

    Included in our itinerary is the palace and palace museum. Our guide Abhi is knowledgeable and informative. The palace constructed started in 1644 and all the Maharani have contributed to it over the years. At the end of the tour there is an opportunity to buy all sorts of things like carpets and clothes. Carpet salesmen are very skilled at getting my internal dialogue into an internal ferocious argument. We have no intentions of buying a carpet, and as he rolls out more and bigger carpets, each more laboriously constructed than the last, I wrestle with being rude and walking out, or continuing my feigned interest in his wares. The longer it goes on the louder my inside voice becomes. I’m finally screaming at myself, get out! Get out! Together we say thanks but no thanks and edge our way around the carpets which are an investment in our future that come with free delivery. We are out the door.

    Before leaving Udaipur, we stop at the Maiden garden. It’s nice. It was designed by the king for the queen, princesses and their ladies in waiting. There are fountains, swimming pool snd grassy areas to play.

    We part from our guide Abhi, and are left in the care of our seasoned and skilled driver Hari Singh.
    Read more