Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Surprise Lunch

    October 26, 2019 in India ⋅ ☀️ 33 °C

    Our Tuk Tuk is stopped short of our destinations by a roadblock. We must proceed on foot. No discount for the shorter ride. Once out on the street Ravi mentions that he lives nearby and asks if we would like to go to his house for some Masala tea. He doesn’t have to ask twice as a rest from all the action here sounds attractive to Dianne and I. We walk about 200 meters from our location, and as we do we see that Ravi is obviously well known here. He nods to all the shop keepers, vendors and craftsmen who in turn wave to us as well. Arriving at his home, we climb some narrow steep stairs to the third floor where there is a terrace adjoining a sitting area and a small kitchen. Ravi introduces us to his parents, his wife and his son. His son is 5 years old. Ravi explains that his parents live on the second floor and he, his wife and son live on the third. The house is about 350 years old. His family has lived here at this location for 7 generations. His neighbours have been his neighbours for 200 years. We are in awe of this.

    Tea is served and Ravi’s mom asks through Ravi if we would like to eat some food. Again we don’t say no and soon we are served some spicy cauliflower in broth with naan bread. Ravi’s son is bouncing off the floor from excitement. Grandma reprimands him gently. In the meanwhile Dianne and I are trying to recall our Indian manners eating with our right hand and me really try not to make a mess. The house has been upgraded throughout its 350 years with new tiles, electricity, running water, kitchen appliances and such. Everyone is welcoming and conversational flows easily. Grandma and Grandpa don’t speak much English but Ravi’s wife is fluent. We spent about an hour talking about family and sharing pictures with each other.
    Before we leave, we are invited to see the temple in the kitchen, and we also partake of the view from the kitchen window. It is the same view we saw from the Mehrengarh Fortress, only in reverse. We part from the company of Ravi’s family with warm goodbyes and immense gratitude for the experience.
    Read more