Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Rise and shine!

    January 26, 2020 in Austria ⋅ ☁️ 0 °C

    Since our bus left at 5am for the Munich airport we set the alarms for 330am! With coffee in hand we pried our eyes open and got ready for the trip home. The bus left at 5am sharp. It was a 2 and 3/4 hour drive. The hotel prepared a wonder breakfast box for each and we were on our way!

    We both enjoyed skiing in Austria. They have what I would call the leading edge of ski resort technology. 10 passenger gondolas that you board from town centre, along with 8 passenger chair lifts that have heated seats and retracting bubbles for colder days, give you access to 4 mountains and a host of dining choices. The whole area is covered with state of the art snow making equipment. You would think that it would be icy, but it is not as bad as you expect as they groom the mountains every night. If there is snowfall, the off piste runs are every bit as challenging as what we’ve found home in the Rockies. The value seems better too as a one day lift ticket costs about 80 Canadian dollars. Most runs are steeper than Dianne likes, but we figured out how to get down either by gondola or bus or both and still have some good terrain for her to ski as well.

    We went seamlessly from Munich to Frankfurt and home to Calgary in what was a long day.
    Now to deal with the jet lag.
    Read more