Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 21

    Okaloacoochee Slough Overflow camp.

    January 11 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 61 °F

    Nice site, but did we witness a murder?

    The middle of nowhere, Florida. We ended up here only after finding our first option to be way too creepy.

    We'd booked a site at a Florida Fish and Wildlife campground. Free, but you have to reserve. I wish I'd gotten some pics. Definitely looked like a crime scene. Overgrown, dark, with low-hanging branches. Mud and moss and flies and garbage. Creepy man living in his car. Another creepy man living in his car.

    So, even though it was getting late, we split and were fortunate to find Okalacoochee not far away.

    Did I say something about a murder? There was a couple in a pop-up camper two sites down from us. They were having a serious domestic dispute. Loud. Angry. The next morning the camper was there, but no car and no sign of anyone around. We worried one had killed the other and taken off in the car.

    I won't say that it was our imagination running wild, because it wasn't a far-fetched scenario. This is Florida, after all. Just before we pulled out, someone showed up in the car to fetch the camper, so we assume no murder.
    Read more