Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Day-2 @Prague: Prague Castle

    December 27, 2023 in Czech Republic ⋅ ☁️ 6 °C

    After having dinner at Namaste India the previous day, we wanted to try it again, but at its another branch - which was near Palmovka station. It didn't disappoint us. The food was great, and it wasn't so crowded either.
    After enjoying our lunch, we set off towards one of the main attractions: an important Spire in the city of 1000 Spires - Praha Hrad (The Prague Castle). We were greeted with a majestic view of the Castle, which got us awestruck! After entering through the gate, laid a huge varanda with a Fountain at it's heart. Apparently, it has been recently renovated, so that the bird-statue in the fountain has now accurately carrying 2 Flags - a symbol of the Bohemian monarch. After spending sometime reading the history behind this fountain, we entered the premise of the Castle, and it was overwhelmingly huge. First we get the entrance to the Church portion of this castle, where it was very crowded. We decided against going inside this part. We walked around the circumference, and got to hear an Asian family of 1 mother and her 2 almost adult kids, where she seemed like sharing a lifetime worth lesson with them (it was fun to see and hear the expressions). From the backside, we entered to the Golden street, which was supposed to be one of the most majestic streets back during the Bohemian empire - The king and his army would generally march around these streets, and all the nobles used to occupy this street. But during the first world war, Czech was in dire stairs - with this street almost reduced to slums. This was the area where the great Czech author - Franz Kafka was born. The surroundings around him inspired him to write about abstract concepts which fit the description - " Everything is not what it seems to be" .
    After passing through this street , we were at the exit of the Castle, which is at good 100 m above the ground level where the Old city square is built. This gave a wonderful view of the Old city part of Prague, and the evening setting made it even more prettier with the lights glowing all around. We took some pictures and spent some time admiring the city from above, and decided to explore the Old city square....
    Read more