Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Exploring the Old city square

    December 27, 2023 in Czech Republic ⋅ ☁️ 4 °C

    After exploring the Castle and it's surroundings, we wished to visit Charles Bridge. However, it was already dark, and there was a huge rush over there, with not much of lightings. So, we thought it wouldn't make much sense if we are unable to checkout the statues of Charles Bridge after going to Charles Bridge. Therefore, we decided to checkout other attractions around the Old city square - Starometska. We needed to board Tram 22 from the Castle's stop, and we got to see the Christmas celebration spirit of Prague in a tram that was lit up in a beautiful decoration in white lights. Unfortunately, it wouldn't have led to our destination, so we just enjoyed it's view.
    Then we boarded our tram and reached Starometska station.
    We visited the Rudolfinum, a Concert and gallery building situated right beside the main river of Prague - Vltava. There were thousands of lighted candles in front of this building, and got to know that this was in the mourning and honor of those 14-15 students who died in the Mass-shooting spree that happened in the Charles University just a few days back. There were some candles that were extinguished due to improper covering, which we duly lit and covered them to pay our respects. We went near the river bank to realize the beauty of Prague Castle from afar, with the colourful nightlights on the Castle. We enjoyed the view here, relaxing and smelling the fresh air blowing across the river, and headed off towards other attractions.
    We went ahead to visit the Jewish Quadrant and the Paris street, which is supposed to be the most expensive street in this city (by extension, in this country). All branded shops were available on this street, and we did what we do best in such areas - Window shopping! The prices mentioned for the items made it look like Euro is a joke. We concentrated our energy in enjoying the lit street with the decorations for Christmas and we ended up near the Old city square, where the Christmas market was at it's full flow! Various shops and items were lined up. We tried tasting all we could, and somethings were really tasty, like the Ratatouille dumpling, freshly fried potato chips and the Meade. We realized that the Astronomical tower is right near to us, and we decided to be in front of this tower at 20:00. When the time came, we got to witness one of the most amusing chimes and the cuckoo was replaced with human dolls doing strange things. We roamed around the Christmas market and around the Old city market area. After a while, we returned to the market and stood atop a pedestal, which gave a good view of the market from above. The Christmas tree that was erected was glittering brightly and we enjoyed it..
    While returning, we were feeling hungry again, after looking at a Burger place. We are the burger, and by far it was the worst we ever tasted. Cursing the owner, we made our way to retire for the night.
    Read more