Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Munich farewell: house and gardens

    May 12 in Germany ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    Mothers’s Day today! Started with a first-class breakfast at the hotel.
    Then as I took it easy, Neil fulfilled his long-held ambition to visit the site where his great-grandparents lived, Nymphenbergerstrasse 58. Unsurprisingly the original building was gone (90% of central Munich was destroyed during WW II) but he did find the address, now an Apotheke (Chemist). It meant a lot to him to tounch base with his family’s history after 158 years.
    It was another glorious spring day, so we took Mike’s advice and visited the Englischer Garden, created by Englishman Sir Benjamin Thompson in 1789. This huge inner-city park, 375 hectares, has 78 km of paths, surfingon an artificial wave, boats on the lake, a riding school, Beergardens, landmarks like the Chinese Tower, and thousands of majestic mature trees, all in vivid spring green. Thousands of families, hundreds of small dogs, bikes in every conceivable size and shape, people everywhere quietly enjoying themselves.
    The helpful concierge had given us the number for our bus, which took us back to our hotel.
    A lovely balmy afternoon, and an appropriate end to our stay in this beautiful city.
    As Milton says,
    “Tomorrow to fresh fields, and pastures new.”
    Read more