Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 21

    Port Arthur

    September 21, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    After we got back from the cruise we headed down to Port Arthur and made lunch in the carpark before heading in (it's so handy being able to make toasted sandwiches in the Cruiser)

    We found out that it's $47 per adult to enter but if you waited till 3:30 it was only $25 per person. Seeing it was 2:30 we figured we'd wait for an hour before heading in and go for a drive around the area .

    We walked in on the dot of 3:30 and ended up doing a whirlwind tour 😄 I'd heard that it was just very touristy and wasn't expecting much so was pleasantly surprised at how much we both enjoyed looking around.

    After going to Norfolk Island a couple of years ago there was quite a bit of history that obviously related to what we had seen there.

    It's great to see how they are maintaining the buildings and just the sheer scale of them. I just love the thickness of the walls!

    It's hard to believe such a beautiful place had such a violent past.

    The open air memorial at the Briad Arrow Cafe, for those that were killed in the 1996 massacre is nicely done as well.

    It was a great end to the day after the mornings cruise.
    Read more