Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 35

    Alcatraz

    July 20, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    Today we went to Angel Island and Alcatraz. First we went to Angel Island. Everyone was supposed to go on a tram and go around the island but the group was too big so we had to wait for the first group. Each tram ride is one hour so we had to wait for 1 hour. We ate lunch and went to a tiny nearby museum. Me and Maya had a corn dog and mammy and daddy had a tuna sandwich. I wanted to cycle but mammy and daddy said that we will cycle another day. The first group came back so we rode the tram and went around Angel Island. There were speakers on top of our trams so an audio tour tape was rolling. We rode on the tram for about 15 minutes then stopped. The driver said that this place is a good stop for photos. The view was great! So we rode on the tram for a few minutes then went back to the start point. We rode the ferry to Alcatraz. It was freezing so me and Maya got hot chocolate. At Alcatraz, we met Wendy (the park ranger) who said that we could do a walking tour and an audio tour. We did the walking tour that was for 45 minutes. During the tour, about 22 seagulls became crazy just because of a juvenile gull!
    We went to the place where they did the audio tour. We were actually in the prison building! Inside a few of the cells, we saw dummy heads of the people that escaped Alcatraz. Here is the history stuff: The chief officer got a call from the other officers. The officers said that there was an escape. The chief ran to the prison and saw the dummy heads. The officers thought it was a real head until one of the heads fell off.
    We went to the bookstore and saw a person who was a prisoner in Alcatraz for bank robbing. He is an author now, and he wrote a book about his life. It seemed interesting so I bought the book. I hope that we can come to Alcatraz again.
    Read more