Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Athens

    April 12, 2017 in Greece ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    Had a small sleep in. We've planned for today to be a lazy day. First though we had another uncomfortable breakfast eating stale food. To be fair, the jam was amazing.
    We then left the house to go to their Woolworths equivalent to buy Will shaving cream and me some moisturizer because my skin is so so dry!
    We (Will) stopped in for a coffee on the way.
    We are liking Greece more and more but we think it's to do with the area. People are much nicer and smile. We got a free treat at the bakery. Oh and last night Will got a beer on the house too.
    We bought the stuff then went home. Im a little over the walk now I've done it a few times. Its like looking at a concrete city with only a little greenery. Boring. A lot of Athens looks like, or rather reminds me of abandoned mental institutions. Clearly run down, abandoned, graffiti covered sterile buildings.
    We bought more of the peanut balls for our movie day in bed. We patted a cat on the way home :D
    As I wrote my journal for yesterday Will looked up how to get to Thessaloniki on Friday and bought train tickets. It will take 5.5 hours on the train. Eh.
    We then had some snacks as we watched X men on the laptop.
    Our host family is hilarious. They are literally yelling at each other every 5 mins. The Main host will be talking to us and the mum will swoop in and starting speaking in Greek to her and the girls face is always like "omg mum, shut up just give me a minute"
    It's very Greek. We cant tell if they are fighting Or if that's just how they communicate haha.
    I then had a very long nap. :)
    Dinner time now. Our host family has ordered us some delivery food. MORE TZATSIKI YAY! We are also going to try Moussaka, which is a traditional dish I'm not expecting to like.

    It took 45 mins to come. The Greek salad and tzatziki was great. The moussaka was alright, it tasted like potato but our host said it looked different so maybe it wasn't mousakka after all.
    We watched V for vendetta then went to bed. A very uneventful day but enjoyable all the same :)
    Read more