Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 110

    Tallinn

    July 22, 2017 in Estonia ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    so at 3am we broke the bed. It scared the shit out of me - we were both asleep and all of a sudden it gave way like it did earlier, only this time the center plank of wood cracked straight through the middle 😖
    Shiiiiit
    We were too tired at the time to deal with it so Will slept on the couch and I slept on the floor.
    Due to this event and the fact that the floor is not comfortable we changed our 12pm tour plans to 3pm lol.
    We had breakfast (Will has finished his pineapple juice but my pomegranate is only half gone 🙊), I showered then messaged our Bnb host to tell her about the bed.
    I tried to craft the message in away that made it not our fault. Lol
    She hadn't replied when we left so we won't know her response until we get home later.

    Ok so I am IN LOVE with this city. It's already skyrocketed to near the top spot and I haven't done anything yet!
    Our tour was meeting at the tourist info center. Our guide was Henri.
    He was very good and enthusiastic.
    He first gave us a big chat about the history of Estonia- he skipped the first 9 thousand years and talked about the several recent attempts at establishing their independence. They have had a lot to do with Russia and since getting their independence in 1991 it's now the longest they have been independent.
    First stop was the war of independence victory column. Which is a really ugly glass pillar for the men who lost their lives in the war of independence between 1918 -1920. It cost over 7 million euro - the locals were not happy!
    Next was the Kiek in De KöK. It's a defense tower. Pretty cool.
    We then went to the Danish Kings garden which I loveeeeeddd. It had dementor looking statues which were meant to represent monks. Its wooded bridge walk way was very game of Thrones looking.
    It had 2 fires lit on medieval torch things.
    It just had such a lovely vibe. The wall itself was built to segregate the lower old town - the craftsman, peasants etc and the top half was for nobleman. I had a good laugh at his truthful joke. In recent years there was a call for counties to put forth options for a new category of wonders of the world. Tallinn put forth their 3km walk ( now 1.8km left I think)
    He was like 'we looked hopeful .... until China put forth theirs." His delivery was very good 😂
    We walked up the hill 20 meters and he showed us the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral. It was similar in style to the Bulgarian one but not as good. It had different colouring. We were allowed to pop our head in - the inside didn't even come close to comparing.
    Still a splendid church to look at from the outside.
    There was also a flag tower nearby. They hoist the flag everyday and play the national anthem - it's the same as the Finnish - they stole it and just changed the lyrics. 😂😂 apparently it's awkward when they play soccer because they play the same song twice hah.
    The flags colours mean- black: basically because their history sucks ... he said lots of countries have red for blood and victory - he was like nope, not us. We always lose 😂 so black is death - it's also for the land.
    Blue: is the water because that's how they lived - fishing etc
    And then the white is debated but most people accept it as hope.

    We then walked past the presidents house - they have a prime minister and president. The president is more just a figure head who does the waving. The government elects the president. A woman got it for the first time recently. He said this was a good/big step for Easter europe.
    The building is pink though 😂 shockingly it was designed by a woman hahaha.
    We walked on to THE MOST BEAUTIFUL VIEW POINT - Toompea hill.
    Genuinely in love. I don't want to leave. It's so bizarre that this the countries capital. It's so medieval and not full at all.
    From the view point he pointed out their new section "over there are our skyscrapers- all 7 of them" hahah
    They aren't that tall though because they are not allowed to be taller than the St Olaf church. There was a silly folk tale that went with the St. Olaf church but it was ludicrous so nevermind.

    THE VIEW THOUGH 😍😍😍😍

    We then went to another viewpoint and I felt bad because there was a wedding couple trying to take photos. I feel like they should have right of way lol.
    Her dress was ugly though.

    Ok so on our tour there was a chick in a bride to be sash - who the crap goes on a free walking tour for their hens day 😂😂😂😂
    And/or wears it just coz?

    Our final stop was in the town square. Which was cool and would look amazing in winter with the Christmas tree and Christmas markets.
    In the middle were lots of markets.
    We tipped him 10€ then went to one of the restaurants he suggested.
    We only got drinks though because it was too expensive to eat then we went to another place.

    But first we went to the medieval pharmacy in the town square that has been operational since 1422.
    It's had some old instruments they use to use and lots of jars full of things.
    Personal favourite was the dried deer penis and sun sizzled dog poop.

    Very glad for modern medicine.

    New resturant sold ELK AND BEAR.
    Bear was really expensive.
    The food was really good. I was so cold in the resturant though! Lucky they provided blankets :)
    A horse and cart kept trotting by.

    We walked home.
    Again, still in loved with the cobbled streets and back alleys. 😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍
    We are home and watching Big Bang.
    Bnb person host messaged back and actually apologized to us hahaha wooo! My plan worked 💪🏻🤗🙊 hehe
    We're not actually sure how the bed broke - if it was us or if it was already broken from the people before.
    We didn't do anything that would cause it to break. Very strange.

    I have a very painful bruise on my arm or what I soon hope to be a bruise. It's kind of visible - considering the pain, my whole arm should be black, but anyway..
    I think I got it when I fell up a step yesterday in the middle of our apartment- why there is a step is beyond me.
    Will keeps poking it -.-

    We Skype Jess and Jaxon. He is so big! Getting really excited to see them both.
    I have a Skype date with mum and dad tomorrow so I'm excited. It's 2am so time to actually try sleep on my comfy floor. Lol
    Read more