Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 170

    Marrakech

    September 20, 2017 in Morocco ⋅ 🌙 30 °C

    Slept what felt like an age but it was still only 9:30 when I woke up which meant breakfast was still on woo.
    Same as yesterday and sooo good.
    We then went walking to find a mosque and garden.
    The city was so busy. People busling everywhere. I love the tradition dress.
    The city/buildings are all neutral colours of browns and reds.
    We walked to where the mosque should have been except it wasn't 🤔 a job for another day - we headed to the gardens. It's called Jardin Majorelle. It took some dude 40 years to create the garden.
    It wasn't worth the hype. While it is lovely it's not impressive.
    Lots of cactus plants - apparently there is like 300 specie of plants but there was no really variety in appearance which made it dull.
    It was pretty busy too. We had to wait 15+ minutes in line to buy our ticket.
    There was an attached museum but we skipped it because it was all in French.
    They speak 3 languages here- Berber, Arabic and French. A very surprisingly large amount also speak English well enough to hold a conversation.

    I don't like the state of their horses, a lot of them you can see their ribs. The donkeys look so sad too 😔

    They sell why j think is cactus to eat on the side of the road which I must try before we leave.

    We walked back from the garden through the market maze again - it was suppose to only be 1km away but I think our route was well over 3 - got money out then found a place to eat just around the corner from our hostel.

    One of the guys on the street tried to sell us something and I almost considered it due to his excellent catch phrase - "it's almost free"

    We hung around the hostel a bit, showered and booked 2 excursions for later in the week.

    We went out to eat at cheap place. I got to feed some cats :) :) :) :) :)

    We are so itchy from suspected bed bug bites.

    We played cards upstairs but retired to bed shortly after because we have to get up early tomorrow for our day trip.

    I felt a little sick in bed :(
    I need to drink more water - maybe a little constipated.

    We Emailed the insurance company because the laptop would FINALLY connect woo.
    There were new Aussies in our room. Everyone is always from bloody Melbourne but.

    While Morocco is cheap it's not as cheap as it could be.

    Africans can't drive either.
    Read more