Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    Bora Bora Jan 23rd

    January 23 in French Polynesia ⋅ ☁️ 29 °C

    Full day in Bora Bora with 2 excursions to keep us busy and see all the sights we can in one day.
    In the morning we had an open bus tour of the island which took us around the main island road and was 15 miles. Along the way we saw their way of life and how they value the simple things and nothing is really complex. The main challenge is that just about everything has to be brought in by ship, so it's a challenge to build new buildings, fix vehicles and introduce new things. Just about everything is re-used and re-purposed. Many of the resorts were destroyed by the 2010 monsoon and were never rebuilt. The few that were being rebuild were stopped and cancelled due to Covid. It's a shame since the island is such a beautiful resort place to visit.
    We had lunch at a cafe and experienced the cost of living in Bora Bora. Lunch was about $95 US. However, it was really good seafood and MaiTai's.
    In the afternoon we took a boat cruise around the island to see the bungalows that are built in the ocean. They are part of the remaining resorts and vary from $500 to $1500 a night. There are pics of these.
    We saw a plastic bottle floating in the water and went to pick up the trash and when we were near it, it moved away from the boat. we caught up to it and our boat captain lifted it out of the water and it was a fishing buoy with a line, hook and live fish caught on it. He is taking it home for dinner.
    We were the last tinder boat (small shuttle boat from the ship to the shore) back, so they could not leave until our group was back on board.
    Dinner and bed to get ready for tomorrow's excursions...
    Read more