Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Dubai to Hong Kong – stains and luggage

    October 24, 2016 in Hong Kong ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    Sunday 23rd October
    We are flying the first leg to Hong Kong with Emirates Air on board an Airbus 380, which is a seriously BIG plane with an upstairs as well! Sadly, this is not somewhere we will be venturing. We were slightly delayed whilst the baggage for a missing passenger was offloaded. Janet managed to knock her glass of water over herself, fortunately she had a change of clothes in her hand baggage so went into the loos to change. When she returned she showed us her damp trousers which had a very suspicious brown mark on the bottom. She sniffed it and reassured us it was melted chocolate! Her story was that she had somehow sat on the small square of chocolate that came with the meal and it had melted onto her trousers. A fine story!

    We arrived at Hong Kong at 22:00. All was going swimmingly until we got to baggage reclaim. My case appeared, but that was it, Janet’s and Peter’s luggage were nowhere to be seen. There seemed to be a lot of angry passengers who similarly were missing their luggage. After interrogating a local baggage attendant who spoke little English we joined a long queue on the other side of the vast baggage reclaim room where a guy reassured us that this happened all the time on flights from Dubai. They often left a container of luggage behind. He said the luggage would be arriving the following day on the next plane in from Dubai, around 18:00 hours and it would be transferred to our hotel. Our theory is that when they had to offload the luggage for the missing passenger, rather than locating his case and possibly missing their flying window, they simply took off the container which had his luggage in it. We have been told we can claim for replacement clothing from Emirates so will go shopping tomorrow.

    Fortunately our taxi transfer was still waiting for us in arrivals and we were transported to our hotel overlooking the bay. Peter popped into the Circle K corner shop over the road and got some milk and we are now sat in bed, showered and relaxing with a nice cuppa at 2am.
    Read more