Satellite
  • Day 11

    Cueva Diablo? Infierno? or Galaxias?

    October 10, 2017 in Bolivia ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    Over dinner, when we had told the people at the hostel that we had gone to the Cueva Diablo, tgey were surprised and told us that the Cueva Diablo was just around the corner from the hostel about 50 mts away.
    We didn't know what to make of it but still decided to go and check it out. The cave is generally locked and the keys are with Don Anastasio (one of the neighbors).
    We went to ask for the keys after the breakfast but were told by his wife that he was away to Uyuni for some camp and will be coming in the evening only. We still decided to go to the cave and see if something could be done. Sure enough, it was locked with no alternate way to enter. We were very disappointed at not being able to enter.
    We decided to go back to the barrier to ask about the Galaxias Cave or if there was any alternate way to enter the cave nearby which actually had the sign (Cueva Infierno) outside.
    Our lucky angel strikes again... 😇😇😇
    As we were talking to the guards at the barrier, we head a most amazing rattling noise followed by what sounded like a steam engine chugging towards the barrier. The guards informed that the car coming was of Don Anastasio's and that we would be able to visit the case.
    The car was an amazing piece of engineering. It was really a surprise it was moving at all. We were shocked at even thinking that this moving piece of car parts could even travel to Uyuni. The front windshield was half broken and he had taped a normal glass to the rest of it.
    We were happy to been provided the opportunity to visit the cave just in time. Another min or so and we would have missed Don Anastasio and would have been on our way to Cueva Galaxias.
    He opened the cave for us.
    Read more