Satellite
  • Day 3

    Christmas Holiday 2019

    December 23, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    Finally the holidays arrived. Regan and I both left the office a little earlier than expected on Friday. With the temperature climbing rapidly over 40 people were advised to get on the trains early to avoid disruptions. It was 42 when I got off the train and blowing as well so was like walking into a blast furnace. The rest of the afternoon was spent getting organised for our family Christmas and packing the truck.

    Saturday was a lovely day with Gareth, Jess, Ahmarni, Lola and Sonny this year coming for lunch. We took the girls to a local park in between courses for us all to try and process the first course. Sonny was rather obliging and slept through the whole event ( unfortunately that meant he was up all night!) They left about 4pm and we did the large clean up , finished the packing and headed to their place around 6pm.

    I had a disaster as I was unpacking things into the van. I dropped a can of coke and it completely exploded, I was washing coke off the ceiling, cupboards and even the mattress. I suspect I will be finding dried coke in unexpected places for the whole holiday.

    We left Gareth’s on Sunday morning around 11 and drove 300km to Lakes Entrance close to the VIC/NSW border. We had lunch in Traralgon which has the very impressive post office in the photos. Lunch was in the van as we have heaps of left overs to get through before we start again on Christmas Day.

    As we drove into Bairnsdale you could really see the smoke from the Vic Fire about 50km away. We arrived at the camp just after 5 and were all set up and enjoying a drink before 6. We are starting to get the set up routine down pat. We did a large walk after dinner around the lagoon and out to the beach before coming back to town, was good to stretch the legs after the driving.
    Read more