Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 63

    Goodbye Melbourne - for a few months

    September 25, 2020 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    So as a few of you know Regan and I were lucky enough to get approval from our employees to work remotely from NZ until the end of the year. Yesterday was D-Day with our flights to Auckland departing at lunchtime. Thursday night after we logged off from work we did the suitcase juggle to get everything in and within the weight limits. We had packed a bike box with some of our paintings so we were certainly distinctive at the airport.

    Friday morning we were awake early after a very broken sleep. We walked up to our favourite coffee place for breakfast and then back to the apartment for the last minute clean up. Our lovely neighbour Pam has offered to keep an eye on the apartment while we are away so we dropped keys and a few left over groceries with her. We had to order an maxi cab to pick us up and the ride to the airport was crazy as there was no one on the roads.

    Most of the airport was shut down with just two international flights leaving at mid day, one to Jakarta and ours. Checkin was very easy, we did have a Border Officer approach us to warn us that as NZ passport holders it might not be easy to return to Melbourne in a few months depending of what happens with Covid. We were surprised not to have our temperatures checked and how many families with young children were travelling. Security and passport were normal but then it was a very different airport. No duty free and all cafes and shops closed and locked Except for just one place to get a coffee open. Regan and I walked the terminal very aware it might be the longest walk we would have for a while.

    The flight took off on time with 50 passengers, it was an empty flight coming over from NZ (not a surprise). The flight attendants were so lovely and lots of “welcome homes” which made me slightly emotional. Services were all normal and we enjoyed some bubbly and watched a movie. When we landed we were held on the plane as they transferred 10 passengers who were connecting to a flight leaving for Shanghai. It was hard work interacting with lots of people. Such a distant memory. Such a pleasant experience again though.

    When we arrived at the passport area in Auckland we had to do a health assessment first. There we had our temperature checked and the usual screening questions. Another welcome home and we did passport and through to a completely empty baggage collection. All our bags were x rayed and out to an empty arrivals hall to a chorus of welcome homes. We were directed to a desk where we were informed we would be completing our hotel isolation at the Stamford Plaza. For our Melbourne friends this was a little ironic as the poor quarantine practices at the Stamford in Melbourne was largely the cause of our latest lockdown. Luckily there are very different practices in NZ.

    On to the bus and a 40 minute trip into the city with the bonus of a beautiful sunset over the Manukau harbour. At the hotel we had an address from the Welfare officer explaining what we can expect and what was expected of us. Our bags were unloaded and handles were disinfected. Once we were allowed off the bus one group at a time we identified our bags, then went to the monitoring stations. A nurse did a health assessment and then a security check to gather contact details and wanted to know the address we are going to after leaving isolation. Everyone was so polite and friendly so the process was pretty easy.

    Finally room check in, we are on the 6th floor with a very large room and beautiful full bathroom including a seperate toilet which we might really appreciate after 14 days. There is a huge picture window but no openings so it is air con all the way. It was such a relief to get the face masks off and to finally be here. We started to unpack and dinner arrived, food quantity is not going to be an issue, online workouts are going to be very necessary! We did not order any wine and had a cup of tea instead and headed to bed.

    It was a very long day but really pretty easy and so excited we are officially on the countdown to being able to see everyone.
    Read more