Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 65

    Day 2

    September 27, 2020 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    Daylight saving happened early this morning in NZ. We are now 3 hours ahead of Australia for the next week. This will keep us thinking a lot about our working hours and when to be in work meetings. We had blinds and curtains pulled and our room was very dark and quiet which allowed us to sleep in. But the knock on the door for breakfast was welcome. The routines are starting to show as the hotel staff appear to have predictable delivery times. They are all really nice and friendly.

    There are so many officials around. From hotel staff to security, NZ defence people and NZ police too. I don't feel there is a need to lock our door or use our room safe. After all, who would want to enter our room when not only do they need to break into a secure facility, they then also risk a serious virus. Would be like breaking into a prison!

    The Auckland weather was very wet this morning so was glad to be inside. Once the rain stopped we ventured out into the front lobby and entrance for our 20 minute walk around an area about 50 metres long and 10 metres wide. Nice fresh air of course. This may be the place when I can spend my work meetings instead of walking the streets of Heidelberg. No real change........Still wearing a mask.

    After lunch we had booked a more serious exercise area on the roof terrace. 45 minutes of running and walking around a bigger area. The circuit I was running was 200 metres long with lots of corners but I did manage to get 5.8km done in the time allocated. We have it booked tomorrow also.

    Tomorrow is our first ever covid test. Paperwork arrived today for this. More tomorrow about that.(teaser!)

    Kudos to Countdown today, we ordered some supermarket food at around 11 am and it was delivered by 4:30, how good was that! Some fresh fruit and salad and also some coffee for Julie and fresh milk for my tea. The food here is really nice but this way we can mix it up a bit and have some healthy alternatives to the high carbs.

    The TV choices in NZ are slim but we have worked out a way to stream netflix to the hotel TV. It was quite locked down for any streaming but as I had a few spare hours to play I trialled multiple ideas until success. The tv will also probably get used for a laptop monitor for work if either of us need it.
    Read more