Satellite
Show on map
  • Melbourne Goodbye

    June 26, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 12 °C

    So we are finally here - work done and ready to roll out of Melbourne tomorrow morning. It was a weird week with some days moving slowly and others flying by. I went to the office for 3 days to escape the temptation to fiddle with more caravan sorting jobs even though we still have to wear masks in the office. Regan worked from the caravan for 4 days and then spent his last day in the office.

    Outside of work commitments we continued sorting all the stuff we had packed into the caravan and ute. The pile for the charity shop grew bigger and we even took advantage of the hard rubbish collection which was happening in the area. We do have a second pantry in the truck with duplicates of consumables such as 4 tubes of toothpaste, masses of hand wash and Regan had the record with 6 cans of deodorant so he is going to smell good for the whole trip. The first two nights in the van it dropped to 2 degrees overnight which was a good test for the red centre. The caravan performed really well.

    Finally we made it to Friday we both caught the tram together and had one last Melbourne breakfast before going to work. We were both pretty nostalgic thinking about all the fun we had had in the city and the realisation it is unlikely we will ever be locals again after this week. The day was pretty busy for both of us with lots of farewell messages and calls. It was a little strange to finish up at a job with no one in the office I left my laptop and security cards in my managers drawer and walked out the building.

    Regan had some farewell work drinks and I caught up with some friends for cocktails and dinner. When we got home we were both a little sad and pretty tired after a busy couple of weeks. Today we are having a quiet day with a few more goodbyes, and more rearranging the van to move things around for travelling.

    Still no decision on the route north to Queensland yet but we will complete our border declarations in the hope that we use them. We are quietly confident all will be ok.

    It will be bittersweet to leave as the adventure ahead is really exciting but we are leaving some amazing people who have made our time here super special.
    Read more