Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Big Red Bash Day 3

    July 8, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    The last day of entertainment started with the attempt to break the world record for the most people to dance the Nutbush. Ok- for the non- Aussie readers I will explain ( Aussie readers can ignore this part). Somewhere back in Australian history Tina Turner song “Nutbush City Limits” was adopted and a dance routine created. Most kids were taught this as a rite of passage just after they took their first steps. I think this is also well before they ate their first “Australian” pavlova or listened to “Australian” Crowded House. Anyway......this dance routine was organised to break the world record which was set 2 years ago at the Bash.

    The organising of 3000+ people into lines, counted, scrutinised for style etc was incredible. The Guinness records people were there. This all took a lot of time but finally started and for 5 minutes everyone shuffled their feet, kicked and clapped to Tina Turner and broke the record. The dust rose and the people cheered. All proceeds from this went to the Royal Flying Doctor Service which overall raised about $70k. Soon after most of the dancers stayed to set a record for Chubby Checkers “ The Twist” - more dust and excitement. The Australian record was broken this time.

    The day warmed up. No wind and full sun so plenty of sunblock and hats. Music today started just after midday and went through til 9.30pm. Today’s line up was Caitlin Shadbolt, Wendy Matthews, Darryl Braithwaite (yes we got Horses in the outback), Thirsty Merc, Ian Moss, John Williams and finally Bjorn Again to rock out to ABBA classics at the end.

    We learnt that the people organising the Bash started it after they had started a charity run for Diabetes research as their son who is type1 diabetic. Then they thought that a concert in the desert could be fun. It’s now a full time job and I am in awe at the logistics behind it all. Hundreds of people volunteer to help. Most are people that just come to the Bash and are rostered to do a few hours tidying, toilet cleaning, marshalling vehicles/ people and smiling and helping. Everyone has traveled a long way to have a good time so there is always a friendly chat and stories exchanged.

    When the music finished there was a mix of sadness that this incredible experience was over but also some relief to be leaving all the dust behind. One final campfire with our Bash friends before crashing into bed.
    Read more