Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Big Red Bash Day2

    July 7, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 14 °C

    After a chilly night I managed to convince Julie of the value in getting out of the warm bed and hiking 20 minutes to climb Big Red and watch the sunrise. A few complaints but a coffee bribe helped. We climbed up just before the 7.30am sunrise with a couple of hundred others already up there. A spectacular site to be in the Simpson Desert to see a new day. While we were there the morning yoga class started up on the dune so we both jumped in and twisted and stretched with 100 others.

    Once we got back to the entertainment area we waited around as the Bashville Drag Race was about to start. There was a large turnout of drag queens who ran and walked from the top of Big Red back to the entertainment area. Was pretty impressive seeing the outfits of at least 200 drag queens at 10am.

    Finally back to the caravan for breakfast and a bit of R&R. We both did some reading and Julie did a large cook up of some vegetables that needed to be used. Once we go down to the concert area you don’t really come back to the van so tend to buy something from the food vendors for dinner.

    The afternoon entertainment were people we were not so familiar with but turned out to have preformed some original Aussie classics such Eagle Rock, and a number of Little River Band songs. The headline act was Paul Kelly and while he started slow he finished strongly.
    Just before the end I ducked off to the toilet but unfortunately lost the group when I returned. It was so hard to find anyone in the dark. As I was searching I helped a lady who was also lost. Neither of us found our groups but I made friends with another group who I “found” three times. The concert finished so I walked back to the caravan to be greeted by everyone. Next year I hope there’s a Lost Children’s (adults) tent.

    Walking home in the massive dust cloud, we are certainly going to leave here with a bit of Outback dust in our lungs. Another great day and one last one tomorrow to go.
    Read more