Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    Last days at Mt Isa

    July 13, 2021 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 17 °C

    The last few days here have allowed us to have a break from dust and driving. The caravan is clean again but I am sure we will find more pockets of dust as we travel. The camp was quieter today which was nice as the last couple of days here has been really busy with vans lined up from 10.30 both mornings trying to get a site.

    The bikes got a clean and a 20km ride around town and outskirts. The town is definitely built for mine workers. A lot of prefab housing built for purpose only. It sort of feels that the city was thriving in the 80’s but has struggled to maintain the progress since then.

    We did find the local lake later in the day. Lake Moondarra was created in the late 1950’s by the Mt Isa mine to supply water to the town. It continues to be used for recreation and town water. There are a lot of shoreline picnic areas and warnings about duck lice and mosquitoes but it’s a picturesque place nonetheless .

    The warning about freshwater crocodiles was high on my decision to avoid going near the water. But in saying that we were told at the Bash that “freshies” won’t eat you. Well I’m not keen on proving that fact. Also not ready on getting media attention where some stupid tourist went for a swim and got attacked!

    Tomorrow we head across the border into Northern Territory. Covid declaration done and will be staying at a roadhouse about 450km along the highway. Then back to civilisation with another 200km on Thursday to reach Tennant Creek.
    Read more