Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 20

    Into Alice

    July 16, 2021 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 11 °C

    Left Tennant Creek early as the drive south to Alice was over 500km. The Stuart Highway is a good road overall and traffic was light. With NT roads having a posted speed limit of 130km/hr some vehicles flew past us with ease. I think the first bend in the road was at about 40km so an easy drive.

    Julie also drove for almost 200km and caught up with a road train which set our speed to around 90km/hr. Passing a road train is a tricky undertaking and as we have no timeframes we were happy to follow. We did watch one driver with caravan attempt once before getting past successfully on the second try. The windy day wasn’t helping either.

    We stopped at The Devils Marbles for a look around. These are quite impressive and as we are returning on this road in a couple of weeks we may try and spend more time there. A brunch stop at Barrow Creek then onward to arrive at Alice by 4pm. Alice Springs township is enclosed by a number of ranges so is surrounded by the granite rocks and is pretty green with lots of trees.

    Campground is very large with all the family features like giant bouncy pillows and an amazing pool area. After setting up we walked around and met up with a kiwi family we had met at the Bash. Small world sometimes with the caravan travelling fraternity. Tomorrow we will head into town to discover and stock up.
    Read more